The difference between giving up and letting go
There are moments when death is no longer something that simply happens to us. Sometimes, we are asked to participate in a decision. A ventilator can be continued or withdrawn. Artificial nutrition can be maintained. Another intervention can be attempted. Treatment can continue even when there is little possibility of recovery.
Or suddenly, the question is no longer simply, How do we keep this person alive? It becomes: What does it mean to allow someone to die?
I have sat with people facing this question while someone they love is no longer able to eat, speak, move, recognize them or meaningfully interact with the world around them. Sometimes the person is unconscious. Sometimes there is profound cognitive impairment. Sometimes machines, medications and medical interventions are sustaining bodily functions long after the person their family remembers seems unreachable.
And still, letting go can feel impossible. Because somewhere along the way, many of us learned that love means holding on.We fight for the people we love. We don’t give up. We do everything possible.We hold tightly. So when someone suggests that perhaps it is time to stop intervening, it can feel almost like a betrayal of love.
Am I giving up on them?
What if they are still in there?
What if they can hear me?
What if they are afraid?
What if there is still a miracle coming?
What if I make the wrong decision?
And underneath all of those questions is usually an even more frightening one:
What do I actually believe happens when we die?
Death has a way of testing every belief system we thought we had. It is one thing to say that consciousness continues, that there is a soul, that there is God, Source, energy, heaven, reincarnation or something beyond this physical world we know.
It is another thing entirely to stand beside someone you love and say:
If that is true, am I willing to let you go there?
This is where belief stops being philosophical. It becomes intimate. It becomes embodied. It has to be your truth but this is also where we discover that what we thought was certainty was actually hope.
That doesn’t make our beliefs meaningless. It makes us human. We don't have to know exactly what after death. but we do need to acknowledge that we do not know and thats ok.
The bigger question though, is..
Who am I asking this person to remain here for? For them? Or for me?
That is the hardest question!
Wanting someone to stay does not make us selfish. It makes us attached to someone we love.
But attachment and love are not always the same thing.
Attachment says:
Stay because I cannot imagine my life without you.
Love may have to say:
If you are ready to go, I will not ask you to stay here just because I'm not ready to lose you.
Letting go is not the same as causing death.
Choosing comfort rather than continuous intervention is not necessarily abandoning someone.
And accepting that a body is dying does not mean that we have stopped loving the person who lives in it.
Sometimes it means we are willing to stop asking the body to do what it can no longer do.
We have been deeply conditioned around possession.
My husband.
My mother.
My child.
My friend.
There is deep meaning in those words, but there is also something worth examining.
We understand intellectually that every relationship will eventually change. Children grow. Relationships evolve. Bodies age. People leave. People die.
Yet we still act like we are entitled to imperamnace.
One of the deepest transformations death offers us is the opportunity to change the way we love, see love and feel love.
When that shift happens, it changes from I need you to stay to I am grateful that you were here. From you belong to me to I had the privilege of being with you.
This does not mean we stop fighting for life when life can still be meaningfully lived.
It does not mean there is one correct decision for every family. Medical realities, personal wishes, cultural values, spiritual beliefs and ethical considerations all matter. These decisions deserve thoughtful conversations with the medical and palliative-care teams involved.
But there comes a point when we may need to ask something different from Can we keep this body alive?
We need to ask:
What are we preserving, and for whom?
If the person we love could stand beside us, whole and clear, what would they ask us to do? What did they believe made life meaningful? What would dignity mean to them? What were their wishes before they could no longer express them? Are we making this decision from their values—or from the unbearable pain of our own impending loss?
There may never be an answer that feels completely right. Sometimes there is only the choice that feels most loving. And sometimes love asks us to do the very thing we have spent our entire lives believing love should never do:
Release our grip.
There is a profound difference between giving up on someone and allowing someone to go.
Giving up says, You are no longer worth fighting for.
Letting go can say:
I love you enough not to make you stay for me.
I love you enough to honour what you wanted.
I love you enough to sit beside you without trying to control what comes next.
I love you enough to trust that whatever death is, you do not have to enter it carrying the weight of my fear.
Maybe this is what our relationship with death ultimately asks us to change.
Not how deeply we love. But how tightly we hold.
Because love does not become smaller when we loosen our grip. Sometimes, it becomes something way bigger than we expect. It becomes love and devotion without the control that helps us say:
You don’t have to stay for me. I got this.

Comments
Post a Comment