What Matters Most in Life... Is Death
What Matters Most in Life... Is Death. It's a sentence that usually catches people off guard.
How could someone who has dedicated her life to healing, Ayurveda, and helping others find wellness say that what matters most in life is death?
The truth is, the longer I live, the more I sit with people through grief, illness, and profound life transitions, the more I realize that death has become my greatest teacher. Not because I long for it or see it as something to fear, but because it has completely changed the way I understand what it means to be alive.
For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by death. Not in a morbid sense, but in a deeply reverent one. There has always been something about it that has called to me. While many people turn away from conversations about death, I find myself leaning toward them. There is something sacred about that final chapter of life that I believe we've forgotten in our modern world.
We prepare for birth with excitement. We celebrate new life. We gather around expecting parents with love, support, and anticipation. Yet death, the one experience every single one of us will one day encounter, is often met with silence, fear, and avoidance. We spend our lives trying not to think about it, as though ignoring it might somehow keep it further away.
But what if death isn't the opposite of life? What if it is simply another part of it?
I don't see death as an ending. I see it as a transition. A movement from one state of being into another. Just as nature teaches us that everything moves through seasons of birth, growth, change, decay, and renewal, I believe we too are part of that same rhythm. Energy changes form. Love changes form. Maybe consciousness does too.
I don't claim to know exactly what happens when we leave this physical body. None of us truly do. What I do know is that through my own experiences, through quiet moments I can't explain, through caring for those nearing the end of their lives, and through my own journey with loss and my deep connection to energy and the information it provides, I have come to trust that there is more than what we can see. That knowing has never come from a book or a belief system. It has come from listening, observing, feeling, sitting and allowing myself to remain open to the mystery.
When my dad died, it didn't just break my heart; it expanded it. It taught me that grief isn't about forgetting someone we love. It isn't about "moving on." It's about learning to continue the relationship in a different way. The physical presence is gone, but love doesn't disappear. The memories don't disappear. The impact they had on our lives doesn't disappear. Somehow, through grief, we learn to carry them differently.
That experience deepened something that had already been quietly growing inside me. It confirmed what I had always felt—that death deserves just as much care, preparation, compassion, and reverence as birth.
This is why I feel so deeply called to palliative care. There is something profoundly beautiful about helping someone prepare for one of the most sacred moments they will ever experience. It isn't about trying to stop death. It isn't about giving up. It's about creating peace where there is fear, bringing comfort where there is uncertainty, and reminding someone that even in their final moments, they are deeply seen, deeply loved, and never alone.
Ayurveda has strengthened this understanding for me. It teaches that life is always moving, always transforming. Nothing in nature resists change. Trees let go of their leaves. The seasons come and go. Day becomes night. We are the only ones who struggle so deeply against the natural rhythms of existence. Maybe our suffering comes not because death exists, but because we have forgotten that it has always been woven into life itself.
The more I reflect on death, the less afraid of it I become. And something unexpected happens. Life becomes richer. I forgive more easily. I worry less about things that once seemed so important. Death has never made me love life less. It has made me love it more.
Maybe that is the gift death has always been trying to offer us. Not despair, but perspective. Not darkness, but clarity. Not something to fear, but something that gently reminds us that every breath we take is precious.
For me, healing has never simply been about helping people live longer. It has always been about helping people live more fully.
And when the time comes, helping them leave this world with the same dignity, peace, and sacredness with which they entered it.To know that life and death were never meant to stand on opposite sides of the road.It's all meant to teach us that one gives meaning to the other.
And that's why I believe what matters most in life… is death. Because death doesn't take away the meaning of life. It gives the meaning to it.
With love
Chandra
Comments
Post a Comment