Eyes on the prize


When I was younger, we had a painting of a tiger in our dining room whose eyes followed me so that I felt he was a silent watchful friend.  I used to make up stories in my head about him, fascinated by his imposing figure but realizing like all animals his basic instinct for survival. 

I visualized his determined patience in planning his strategy whilst controlling his hunger through discipline. He would carry out his mission with silence and intense concentration always keeping his end goal in sight. Then he would vigorously pursue it blocking all else out.   

It made me wonder about my own goals and if applying the methodology of my tiger could be of some benefit.  However, whilst writing it I imagined him at first not getting the gazelle, maybe he revealed himself too early giving the nimble gazelle sufficient time to escape. What if this did happen? Would he never hunt again? 

No, because endeavouring to fulfill his needs outweighed any lack of success he had in obtaining it. Maybe he would have to change his strategy, prowl a little longer in the shadows before revealing himself, more patience and planning.  He just had to find the right balance.  The bonus would be he learnt to become more cognizant of surroundings and more self-aware of his strengths and challenges.

As an example, from my own personal experience, after over a year of a partial torn shoulder ligament not healing due to extreme weakness, I have learnt to work through my fear and patiently strengthen the muscles around it that has me lifting things I couldn’t before, made me more flexible and independent than before the injury and more or less pain free. 


I’m still keeping my eyes on my ultimate goal of complete ligament repair through exercise to overcome limitations, but I am intent on enjoying the benefits of pursing that goal such as muscle strength and bone health without the need for surgical repair, which in themselves I celebrate as goals.


So even though we may not attain our ultimate goals when or how we envisioned, there are so many benefits and mini-goals gained on the journey itself that empower us, which we have to recognize so we don’t give into disappointment or discouragement.  


The outcome is not always relevant at a point in time if we are doing our best to honour ourselves in the present moment, like my tiger who became more skilled as he gained more self-confidence.



Tiger Blood


Beneath the stillness of the burning sun,
another hunting day has begun.
You yawn lazily in your fearsome lair, 
yearning for food in your solitude prayer

Flames of passionate orange flare,
To emphasize your vengeful glare,
And sombre stripes of black
Make their hostile, evil track.


The burning rumbling tearing at your belly
Has you so weak that legs feel like jelly
Yesterday the prey nimbly escaped your grasp
Fighting back furiously leaving you aghast


Now wiser, patient, shrewd from your lapse
You fervently try again in setting new traps
Though determined to succeed and be fed
You refuse to give into that sense of dread


Your eyes scan the jungle for prey,
And any victim that comes your way.
A soft rustle in the distance,
And you prick up your ears in persistence


Then your powerful body rises,
And you prowl threatening bloody surprises
Cunning and murderous on soft-padded feet
Nearing fulfilment with every heartbeat


Then you see the graceful gazelle grazing
And you run thunderously with heart blazing
The gazelle bolts like lightening
But you pounce with your grip tightening 


You tear viciously at the tender flesh, 
succulent meat in which you relish
Indulgent fangs that drip with stagnant blood
As satisfaction and fullness within you flood


You return triumphantly to your lair
Content with your answered prayer
Beneath the calm of the seeing sun
You lay down your magnificence as day is done




~ Deborah Sharma


 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🎶 What is Vibrational Sound Healing?

Energy healing (Reiki or Chakra Balancing)

🌸 It's time to lighten your load!